Shastra Summer Collaborative 2019 – Application Deadline: April 15th, 2019
This year Shastra launches the newest version of our yearly summer program: the Shastra Summer Collaborative, where six composers and six Hindustani singers will be paired with one another and will build their knowledge of each other’s traditions through a series of masterclasses and collaborative assignments, culminating in the creation of a new arrangement of a traditional Hindustani bhajan, written by the composer and performed by the singer. The intensive will start online, through a series of remote sessions, and culminate in three-day in-person residency in Los Angeles on August 9-11, 2019, where the arrangements will be read and recorded.
- Receive an intensive course in Western classical music theory (no previous experience required)
- Receive instruction on practical skills for working with Western classical musicians and ensembles, following a conductor, communicating with Western musicians et al.
- Collaborate with a composer on weekly assignments leading up to the creation of a new work for Hindustani voice and a string quartet.
- Workshop and record this new work with the composer and string quartet during the residency in Los Angeles.
- Receive an intensive course in Hindustani music (no previous Indian classical training required)
- Receive instruction on best practices for working with Hindustani musicians, and incorporating elements of Indian music organically into the music you write.
- Collaborate with a Hindustani singer on weekly assignments, leading up to the creation of a new work for your Hindustani vocal collaborator, and string quartet.
- Workshop and record this new work during the residency in Los Angeles.
How to Apply:
- Composers are not required to have any previous training in Hindustani music. However, they must have a working knowledge of Western composition, at least at the undergraduate level.
- Singers need to have a minimum of 7 years of Hindustani music training to apply.
- The subsidized program fee is $500 and covers all materials, tuition, and live professional recording.